Thursday, January 14, 2016

Ace Your Face


I have primarily ridden Independent Trucks for the last 10 years. I say "primarily" because I have also ridden a couple of sets of Tracker Trucks here and there on different setups but I have always gravitated back to Indy. I am currently riding a well broken-in set of Stage XI 169s and I have to say that I really like the way they grind, and that the new lower kingpin design has been a long time coming.

So, if it's not broke, then why fix it? Well, I have to say that I am really curious about these ACE Trucks. I want to know how they turn, and how they grind compared to the trucks I have been riding. I have never faked a front of brand loyalty to a truck company. Growing up I rode Gullwing , Tracker, G&S (I HEART chromoly trucks), Venture, and even Thunder well before I even owned a set of Independents. I didn't start riding Indys until we met Sal Barbier right at the time he switched from Tracker! So I can't claim any brand loyalty, no "Indy for Life" tattoos or anything like that here. And with all of the truck testing that has been going on over at Luchaskate, I feel the need to try something new!
I figure I will swap out the stock bushings for something a little more firm. Trust me, my trucks are loose, but me and 90a stock bushings do not mix well. I'm more of a 93a - 95a body type, so if any of you reading this have a good suggestion for a replacement, then please let me know in the comment section. The final tipping point to my decision is that the Ace 66 runs just a little more wide than the Independent 169, checking in at 9.5 inches from axle tip to axle tip, a full 1/2 inch more than the 169. And I am riding a 10.2 custom Fickle, so I've got wiggle room! Stay tuned for pics and more in the upcoming weeks as the truck transition continues.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I recently tried Aces after 40 years of skating, and I love them!

Jeff said...

Awesome! I am pretty excited to ride them as well. Thanks for stopping by!