Thursday, May 17, 2012

Why I Will Never Quit Skateboarding - Confessions of a Lifer

In the last couple of weeks we have seen a number of articles written by non-skaters in the mainstream media. Some have been positive, some have been negative, and some have been a total waste of space as they attempted to question the validity of "the middle-aged" skateboarder. As a writer and a skateboarder who recently turned 40, I felt it was time to give my opinion on the matter. Skateboarding is the fountain of youth, and for me, has no rules, and knows no age limit. I cite Duane Peters, Dave Hackett, and Pastor Eddie Elguera as my primary examples, although those of us reaching the minimum age requirement for the "Master's Division" grows daily. There is a lot I could say here about how skateboarding is no different than any other physical activity, and how no one questions the validity of, or puts an age limit on, activities such as jogging, cycling, etc. But I won't. I will say that skateboarding saved my life six years ago and that I don't plan to stop until my corporeal being ceases to exist as my spirit is stronger than ever. As for the "writers" composing verbal garbage and passing it off as "work" in the mainstream media, my advice is to stick to what you know, and leave skateboarding to the skaters.

2 comments:

dayam! said...

WORD! I will skate till my legs no longer hold me up! I know my limits, Hopefully that will keep me rolling longer.

Jeff said...

Yes! Always good to hear from another "Lifer"! Thanks for stopping by!