Monday, August 9, 2010

The Rise of Rad



The Torrance Art Museum in Torrance, CA is currently hosting The Rise of Rad {The Influence of the Urethane Revolution} as well as "There Is Xerox On The Insides Of Your Eyelids" (described by TAM "as an exhibition exploring the realm of 1980's self published skate zines, skate punk music graphics, and photocopied art from a small window of time - where local skate scenes, and spots, were documented, hand done, copied & stapled, and traded in the post. It is not only an exhibition of the aesthetics and graphic elements of zines, but also a historical look at the true history of skateboarding from the mouths of the skaters themselves").
Unique to this exhibit was the "open call" to participate in The Rise of Rad. "One of the highlights of today's skate phenomenon that has encouraged 'rad culture' to thrive is its practice of visual documentation."
If there is one thing that Jeff's Skateboard page is about it's visual documentation. I answered the open call and submitted photographs per the guidelines. A once in a lifetime chance to share my love of skateboarding and museum space with skaters that I have looked up to for most of my life. I am STOKED to report that some of the pictures I have posted here are part of The Rise of Rad. Some of the accepted submissions were images captured by my awesome son and my incredible wife. Others were DIY shots that I lucky enough to get on a 10 second timer. Skateboarding has taken me a lot of places and I am grateful for it as well as grateful to those who have supported me along the way.

No comments: