Monday, November 22, 2010

(Not So) Hard Core

I've been riding these Bones ATF (All Terrain Formula)60mm 80a wheels for about a week. In a previous post I wrote about how much I liked these wheels. And I did like them. They had the grip and soft ride of a cruiser wheel but were slim and light and were suitable even for park skating. I really liked the ride of these wheels. Until tonight. When the core and wheel decided to go their separate ways. This is the first set of wheels that I have ever ridden that had a core that is independent of urethane wheel itself. This core technology is common place in many skateboard wheels today.
Detailed picture of the wheel separating from the core.

Shred sled.

At first I thought the axle was bent but...

5 comments:

K3 said...

Wow! Never seen that happen before but I bet they don't make these wheels thinking about the force of a slappy! :)

Jeff said...

No doubt! I'm probably guilty of gross abuse of their product, but dang!

ARDENBAINO said...

This is prolly an overdue comment, but that instance of the core coming off the wheel, that happened to my 2 sets of wheels both of them 60mm and 78a. I guess cruiser wheels aren't meant for the repeated impacts of street skating. The thing is mine broke by i wasn't even using them for regular street skating. Biggest thing that i did on those wheels is a 3 set ollie.

ARDENBAINO said...

That happened to me too. I broke two sets of 60mm 78a cruiser wheels. The core came off the wheels. I wasn't even doing big stuff. Just curb skating. I guess those wheels aren't meant for repeated impacts. I suppose that's why they called em cruiser wheels. =)

Jeff said...

Thanks for commenting ARDENBAINO, never too overdue here! Like you and Kraston said, the manufacturers probably never imagined someone would be trying to shred on a softy cruiser wheel, but we do what we do! I assumed that by ATF all-terrain formula that they would be suited for just that, all terrains, found out the hard way they are not! Keep on skating! Thanks again, Jeff.