Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Archival Pic of the Week


This one should be pic of the year if the year were still 1989. Most of the old skate pics posted on my page were shot with either a Kodak 110 camera (that used FLASH CUBES!) or an inexpensive "automatic" auto focus 35mm (fixed focus). It wasn't until later that I started shooting with a manual 35mm Pentax K1000. Crappy cameras aside I am still pleased to this day with the images I managed to capture. Heavily influenced by J. Grant Brittain and Morizen Foche I was determined to freeze skateboarding in time while still conveying the all out balls to the walls aspect of it all. This is Jeremy. He was usually concerned with the neat appearance of his shoe laces. He is pictured here doing some damage to his shoe laces with a nice ollie across the trash compactor gap behind the former Big Bear grocery store in Teays Valley. The landing pad was pure diamond plated steel and not very big. But yeah, Jeremy made it.

3 comments:

larryosaurus said...

Damn! This shot is nice :D

Even with todays cameras getting good skating shots is hard work ...and you nailed this one with Flash Cubes!!!

Marc's Board Shop said...

I need to add some classic old pics to my blog for the winter

Jeff said...

Jackie, Thanks Man. I got lucky as hell on this one. Pre-digital skate photography didn't afford us the comfort of being able to view shots immediately and reshoot if needed. Then you drop off your film and wait. I probably deficated and fell back in it when I saw this the first time.